Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 1

As the first entry into Write Me Two Times, I will keep this short untill I really figure out what I'm looking to do here. I've got some ideas about what I want to write about, I guess somewhat obviously, things that interest me and things that are affecting me right now. I think I'm going to try and combine personal topics with informative ones - for example, my taste in music one day and advice on how to stay sane in a job search the next (and I'm always receptive to suggestions).

As a [former] employee of the Colgate University Career Services office for the past three years, I have had exposure to career search methodologies on a much more regular basis than your typical recent graduate. Of course that brings the inevitable question -- why don't you have a job yet? I know, Right? Without making TOO many excuses...what I am interested in doing is very difficult to break into and so I've moved to Washington DC to NETWORK.

Yes I said it. Networking. That term everyone seems to throw around but no one really knows what it actually means - Or what it can do for you.

net - work [net - wurk]

7.an association of individuals having a common interest, formed to provide mutual assistance, helpful information, or the like: a network of recent college graduates.

It's not untill the SEVENTH definition on Dictionary.com that we find the relevant meaning of this term. From my experience, the word is going to mean different things for different people...and this will be my topic for Monday -- What networking means to me, how it has helped me, how invaluable it is in this job market, and how it will benefit you for your entire life (all this and more from a College Grad with no first job...yet).


Song of the Day:

Love Me Two Times - The Doors ... (Yes it was my title inspiration)



2 comments:

  1. Hey this is great - definitely keep it up. Love the picture and the first entry. Can't wait to keep reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. I think there are web apps that can feed your blog to twitter...check with Martin.

    ReplyDelete