Monday, July 13, 2009

Networking - Pt. 1

As I mentioned on Saturday, today’s post will be a small introduction to an invaluable tool for job seekers – Networking. We’ve been over the definition so I’m going to start right in on some basics.

1. What Networking means to me...

In my opinion, networking is an enjoyable chance to market yourself to alumni, friends, friends of friends, and the guy that worked for your roommate’s 3rd cousin…three years ago. This is one of your best opportunities to "get yourself out there" and to get smart people invested in your future. To me, this is what networking is all about -- getting yourself on the radar of people who matter in your focus industry and who are willing to take time out of their day to give you advice and guidance (and maybe even job leads).

2. What Networking has done for me so far...

If you read my first post (or even the title caption of this blog) you will know that I don’t have a job. So what, you might ask, has networking done for me? In short, a whole lot. I moved to the DC metro area at the end of May, just two weeks after graduating, jobless, and with enough money survive the next few months. Now, it is Mid-July…and I’m in the same situation…with one noticeable improvement.

In my few short months in DC, I have met with MANY extremely talented, extremely interesting people in my industry of choice. Now, these people are looking out for me and using THEIR networks to circulate MY resume. The BIGGEST mistake people make in networking is going into a meeting with a sense of entitlement. Here is a quick do’s and don’ts list for networking (from my experience)

Don’t:

- Go to a meeting expecting this person to create you a job

- Go to a meeting without a few strong and direct questions or expecting your contact to just lay out all the answers for you

- Expect them to know what you are looking for without explaining your goals and aspirations

- Be afraid to ask

Do

- Ask questions about your contact, their career path and how they got to where they are

- Politely and graciously, ASK for what you want (Once you’ve developed a good conversation or relationship)…if you are hoping they have a connection in some organization, you have to ASK

- Follow-Up quickly, professionally and include a small recap of what you talked about

- Keep in touch!! Networking is relationship-BUILDING…Build your network to last, once you have a job these people will still be invaluable contacts

That’s all for today, more on networking in my next post. Tomorrow I will include information on how to START networking. Finding those first few contacts may seem intimidating and I hope to alleviate some of these fears. Don’t forget – Networking is a process, not a one-time event. By building these skills now, you will be able to develop a strong and lasting network for your entire career. With people changing jobs more and more frequently, you never know when you will need to call upon your network for help (or to return the favor).


Job Article of the Day: http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends.jsp


Song of the Day:

Promontory - The Last of the Mohicans Soundtrack


No comments:

Post a Comment